Skip to main content

Before COVID-19: The Philadelphia 76ers

It is no secret that I am a big fan of the Philadelphia 76ers. I trusted Sam Hinkey and what he tried with "The Process" and a third-place finish in the East (51-31) for 2018-19 was exactly what everyone wanted for Philadelphia but after quite possibly the regular season we all wanted, our postseason was over after one clutch shot from Kawhi Leonard. To get over how butt-hurt everyone was after that game seven loss, everyone's attention turned to the 2019-20 NBA Season.

The preseason that saw the 76ers dominate everyone they faced until they decided to roll over and die against the Wizards, so hopes were pretty high for what was looking to be a successful season. The first game of the season saw Philly beat Boston 107-93, a good showing that pleased a Wells Fargo Center crowd in Philadelphia. The next two games were played on the road against Detroit and Atlanta which anyone with any sense would think these would be relatively easy for an 'all-star' team like the 76ers, but they made both of these wins single-digit results to make their record a relatively decent 3-0. The return to Wells Fargo saw the 76ers blowout a Timberwolves team 117-95. Then a trip to Portland saw the 76ers narrowly beat the Trailblazers by a single point. Their record at this point became 5-0 with everyone contributing harmoniously to the team. All this was about to change as the 76ers were ready to show the world how spineless they actually were and how they looked like every road game were being treated as holidays.

The 76ers lost three straight games on the road and, although they were narrow losses, they were still pathetic displays of athleticism compared to what we saw to start the season. There is no way in hell a crowd in Philly would accept losses against Phoenix and Utah, that's not acceptable for a team like the 76ers, but we're all too used to having our hopes dashed this easily year after year. The loss against Denver would make our 5-0 record before the road trip into a 5-3 record after it. The team then had two games back in Wells Fargo, one against the Hornets and then one against Cleveland... By the way, does anyone know what the hell happened to Cleveland? These two games would see the Sixers take two wins, but narrowly... I mean, they struggled past the Cavs in a one-point game! I'm sorry, but that sucks worse than another badly timed timeout taken by Chicago Bulls Head Coach,  Jim Boylen.

It's important to note that in the first 10 games, Joel Embiid led the team in points and rebounds for the last four games, it really is a wonder how he hasn't taken a break for another injury that I swear is a stubbed toe every time. At this point, the 76ers have a solidish record of 7-3 (.700). This is solid, but those three road losses were definitely a sign of what is to come for this team, performing as they promised at home and then flopping like a drawbridge on the road. I won't lie, I was surprised and impressed after the first ten games, I thought it was a compliment to everyone who had supported the team through that bullshit we called 'the process". Brett Brown's head is still safely on and the fans don't really care about him yet.



Philadelphia 76ers on the Forbes NBA Team Valuations List

Comments

Post a Comment

Trending by Yammer House

Kyle Larson: What The Heck Just Happened?

So Kyle Larson, a NASCAR Driver competing in an online race of members of the NASCAR grid, decided to be racist while forgetting he was, you know, on a race being streamed around the world. The absolute moron decided to say the word "N****". Obviously, I can't put it here. I don't have 13 million dollars to lose every year. This is unfortunate because he was driving in the same team as Scott Dixon and was actually a relatively talented driver. Kyle Larson (above) lost his job on his day off Another unfortunate thing is that Larson has made more shadows over NASCAR, a sport with a heavy outside view of being racist and the organization didn't actually handle it very well at all. I mean, I can watch NASCAR pretty happily, it's a great thing to watch that brings a totally different vibe to a room than Formula One. I'm not from the States, so I can't exactly speak from a place of expertise. Here is his apology video, which I think is pretty poi...

A New Quarterback and New Uniforms for New England.

The New England Patriots are set to release new uniforms soon. Our old friend Tom grew old of New England, so he moved to Tampa Bay to work under Bucs Head Coach, Bruce Arians. I don't know why Tom left. If I was him, I wouldn't have left the Pats. Bill Belichick, in my eyes, is a more competent coach and the Patriots are a better team for Tom. But hey, if he wants to go, he can go. Belichick and Brady These new uniforms should hopefully look amazing. They've worn the same boring crap for years with little to no change. There is something about Boston that makes them like wearing the same uniforms year after year... I mean look at the Celtics, that same colour grouping since, probably their first game in history. The Redsox are no better, but it's not often you see many major changes in MLB uniforms. The Bruins also don't make an overwhelming amount of change to their uniforms. Boston is, though, a big sports city. I don't know what the Patriots are tr...

Philadelphia Sports: A Cry For Help

Philadelphia has a lot to cry about. I'm not talking about the fact they live in Philadelphia, I mean, of course, the 76ers, the Flyers, the Phillies and, of course, the NFL version of the Cavs... Those pathetic Eagles. I mean I love Philly sports, but if we're being realistic, the best thing we have going for us right now is the Flyers. The Flyers, as of right now, are sixth in the league, a very strong showing. In terms of the eastern conference, they're fourth. This is pretty good for Philadelphia. We are being shown some legitimate athleticism. I mean... I don't support the Flyers, I support the Winnipeg Jets and I'm proud to say that, even though the Hockey stinks. But the Flyers are a really good product at the moment. They're three points ahead of the Penguins which is arguably just as important than winning the Cup. Besides, whenever Philly win anything (eyes on you Eagles), they become the most moronic excuses for athletes we have ever seen. About t...